The Robert Lehman Foundation Inc. was incorporated in 1943 to serve as a vehicle for its Founder’s benefactions in the field of the visual arts.
On Mr. Lehmans death in 1969, his entire collection, one of the most extraordinary and wide-ranging in the world, was bequeathed to the Foundation, on which responsibility devolved for carrying out Mr. Lehmans wish that the collection be exhibited intact and in perpetuity in a manner evoking the ambiance of his ancestral home rather than that of an institutional collection.
© The Metropolitan Museum of Art, Robert Lehman Collection, 1975
After considering various alternatives, the Foundation entered into negotiations with the Metropolitan Museum of Art, an institution especially close to Mr. Lehmans heart, and of which he had been Chairman. These negotiations were quickly brought to a mutually satisfactory conclusion, and on January 30, 1970, the collection of more than three thousand works of art, dating from the early Renaissance to the 20th Century, was transferred to the Metropolitan Museum, where it is housed today in the Robert Lehman Wing and exhibited in accordance with Mr. Lehmans wishes.
It is the mission of the Foundation to fulfill and further Robert Lehmans vision and therefore to support the visual arts in any fashion that seems likely to enhance the appreciation, knowledge and enjoyment of this central aspect of our culture.
*Home Page Image: The Creation and the Expulsion of Adam and Eve from Paradise, 1445 Giovanni di Paolo © The Metropolitan Museum of Art, Robert Lehman Collection, 1975